Sunday, February 11, 2007

Gamers in the Military

I never really realized how widespread gaming was in general until after I had been playing online games for a few years. Over the years that I've played, I've meet and made friends from all over. Most of these friends I've never met in real life, but know them as well as my friends I see all the time. One factor of gaming, and especially online games, is I never realized how many military seem to play. All of mine and my husband's friends, save one or two, played Everquest when we were still in Kings Bay. Even here at the Cape, a lot of the guys at work play World of Warcraft, and some of us all on the same server.

My husband still gets the, "Oh wow, you are lucky! Your wife likes to play." He also has helped some guys get their girls converted to gaming in general, and some even online games. My wonder is this - How many military folks play video games in their free time? A lot of the generation that is now just entering the military or been in for a few years are a part of the video game years. What I mean by that are the kids that grew up on Nintendo and Atari and even older systems.

I know sometimes during patrols my husband would talk about them having Halo tournaments, guys having PSPs and DSs, as well as games on palm pilots. So if you game, what kind of games do you like to pass your time? While I'm attached to my computers, I also have my DS (aka the husband sanity keeper on road trips) and a PS2/Wii. My heart still resides with online games, like Everquest, and at the moment, Vanguard. Though I will never be able to deny my first game experience online with Quake. (Yes...a girl can play Quake *grin*)

So, feel free to comment if you'd like. Would be interesting to see the replies.

1 Comments:

Blogger DaBlairs said...

My husband still gets "you're so lucky your wife likes to play too". Yep, evercrack phase started when we were in KB, and we've moved on to WoW, but I'm slow at taking up Vanguard, much to hubby's dismay. We are doing the geo-bach thing right now - me in Hawaii, him in Norfolk, so it's something we do long distance that keeps us close - ventrilo is a must! I hear of the gaming widows, and I thought I'd be one, but I started playing so we could spend time together and found that I enjoy it. Yes, I've 'met' wonderful people online, and I've met toxic people..same as life, you just have to weed through as you would any friendship. Does it make me weird? Most of my friends think so :)

13:44  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home